Sunday, May 16, 2010

16 May - The Perfect Hiding Place

Today, the 7th Sunday of the Easter season is an in-between place. Three days ago the Church celebrated the Feast of the Ascension, marking Jesus’ final departure from his followers to settle in his place with God. Jesus has assured his disciples God will be with them. The gift of the Holy Spirit, which we will celebrate on Pentecost, has not yet arrived. I wonder what it was like for Jesus’ followers in that place of not knowing. What was familiar has disappeared and they do not know what lies ahead. All they have is an assurance that God is with them. I imagine them wondering to themselves, ‘So, where are we going to find God?’ This question reminds me a wonderful folk wisdom story that provides one answer. I share it with you.

“A legend tells how, at the beginning of time, God resolved to hide himself within his own creation. As God was wondering how best to do this, the angels gathered around him.

‘I want to hide myself in my creation,’ he told them. ‘I need to find a place that is not too easily discovered, for it is in their search for me that my creatures will grown in spirit and in understanding.’

‘Why don’t you hide yourself deep in their earth?’ the first angel suggested.

God pondered for a while, then replied, ‘No. It will not be long before they learn how to mine the earth and discover all the treasures that it contains. They will discover me too quickly, and they will not have had enough time to do their growing.’

‘Why don’t you hide yourself on their moon?’ a second angel suggested.

God thought about this idea for a while, and then replied, ‘No. It will take longer, but before too long they will learn how to fly through space. They will arrive on the moon and explore its secrets, and they will discover me too soon, before they have had enough time to do their growing.’

The angels were at a loss to know what hiding places to suggest. There was a long silence.

‘I know,’ piped up one angel, finally. ‘Why don’t you hide yourself within their own hearts? They will never think of looking there!’

‘That’s it!’ said God, delighted to have found the perfect hiding place. And so it is that God hides secretly deep within the heart of every one of God’s creatures, until that creature has grown enough in spirit and understanding to risk the great journey into the secret core of its own being. And there, the creature discovers its creator, and is rejoined to God for all eternity.”

From One Hundred Wisdom Stories from around the World

Peace,

Deacon Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment