Sunday, July 25, 2010

25 July - The "Us" In The Lord's Prayer

It is amazing to me how deep a prayer can be in our memories, in our hearts. Sometimes it seems like I have always known the Lord’s Prayer. And it is always a Spirit-filled moment when I’m praying with someone who is semiconscious and fairly non-responsive that, when I begin the Lord’s Prayer, that person joins in.

Even though the Lord’s Prayer is the basic way we learn to pray individually, it is important to notice the plural. The prayer uses the words “us” and “we,” not “I” and “me,” because community is where we find Christ. If you pray this prayer alone, I guarantee you that somewhere in the world, someone else is praying with you.

Because the words can be rattled off from memory without much thought, I’d encourage you to take time with praying the Lord’s Prayer. Really think about what you are saying. Really think about the blessed relationship we have with God that we can pray this prayer with confidence – especially the confidence that God is listening.

Peace,

The Rev. M.E. Eccles, LPC

No comments:

Post a Comment